The Best Waterproof Phones
Getting an expensive gadget only for it to be destroyed by water is disheartening. In the past years, water-resistance technology has been a luxury enjoyed by top-end phone users. But in recent years its no longer a luxury to be enjoyed by top-end phones, it’s now a standard feature that is required of an expensive gadget. These are the best waterproof phone that you can get in 2020.
Samsung Galaxy S20+ (overall best)
Coming in at number 1 as the best overall waterproof phone is the Samsung Galaxy S20+. The galaxyS20+ offers IP68 `water resistance with lots of improvement across the board over the galaxy S10+. It’s got a bigger display with a super smooth 120Hz refresh rate, it’s a 5G capable phone with the new snapdragon 865 processor.
One of the big improvements this year is on the cameras. They’ve got larger sensors which let in more light and take better low light shots. They’ve also got solid zooming up to 5X and an ultra-wide for even more shot variety.
Despite a few shortcomings like the slow fingerprint sensor and the lack of headphone jack, the Galaxy S20+ is still our overall best pick for waterproof phones in 2020, so you may want to consider this an option when picking out yours.
Some of the pros of the galaxy S20+ include
- Good battery life
- Best in class display
- IP68 water-resistant
- 5G enabled
- Solid all-around cameras
- The 128GB storage size for this device is quite expensive
- The proximity of the fingerprint sensor that comes with the galaxy 20+ is really slow
- It has a much weaker zoom compared to that of the galaxy S20 ultra
- This device comes with no headphone jack.
The galaxy S20+ comes with a great screen, a strong array of cameras, and above it features great software. Its quite expensive but it’s definitely worth it.
Coming in at second place with the best battery life is the Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra. It features the same specs as the Samsung Galaxy S20+ water resistance rating included. Unlike the galaxy S20+, the S20 ultra features an even larger display up to 6.9 inches and an amazing 5000mAh battery life so you really don’t need to worry about the longevity of this device.
The galaxy S20 ultra features better cameras with a 108MP main shooter which takes better photos. It also features a telephoto camera that reaches out and get great shoot of up to 10X. this is a really expensive device with a great battery life and larger size compared to the S20+.
Some of the pros of these device include;
- IP68 water resistance
- Huge battery life
- Solid zoom camera up to 15X
- Massive high-quality screen
- Super sharp main camera shots
- This device is necessarily big and heavy
- It has great battery but its limited to 60Hz mode
- The integrated fingerprint sensor is slow to engage
- The lack of a headphone jack
Coming in at third place with the best camera is the Google Pixel 4 XL. The pixel 4 XL representing the very best of Google software features the IP68 water resistance exteriors with a snapdragon 855 chipset and 6 GB of RAM.
This device also features great stereo speakers and a display of 90Hz. The Google Pixel 4XL has sone of the best cameras compared to any other phone you can buy. Its night sight allows it to capture amazing photos even at night and in daylight as well.
The only downside to the Google Pixel 4XL is the battery life which falls far behind that of the Samsung Galaxy S10+.
- Super-smooth 90Hz display
- IP68 water resistance
- Simple, useful and fast software
- Nice-looking and feeling hardware
- Top-end camera quality
- This device has an incredibly weak battery life
- The motion sensor contained in this device has little real-world use
- It has a low RAM and storage space compared to the price.
Coming in at fourth place wit the best one-handed phone is the Samsung galaxy S10e. the Samsung galaxy S10e is quite smaller compared to the latest galaxy generations, so if you want to focus on keeping a compact size device then the Samsung galaxy S10e is the right choice.
The Samsung galaxy S10e features the IP68 waterproof with great display of high-quality hardware. Although it comes with a smaller 3,1oomAh battery so you don’t expect to get as much endurance as the newer generation phones.
- Compact size that’s great for one-handed use.
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Excellent build quality
- Good performance
- Latest Samsung software
- IP68 water resistance
- The Samsung galaxy S10e comes with a lackluster battery life
- It has no telephoto camera
- It comes with the last generation specs.
LG G8 (Best for Less)
Coming in at fifth place is the LG G8 as the best for the less waterproof phone. The G8 has solid hardware that’s IP68 resistant just like any other modern phone. It has a great display and hardware too. Features a headphone jack, microSD card, wireless, and fast charging as well.
This device sure feels like a high-end phone and in so many ways outmatch most new phones that launch at this same price. The downside is the software feels outdated and you really can’t expect fast updates in the future. The camera didn’t stand up to the 2020 competition which makes it feel outdated, although this is something you really can forgive giving the price this device was launched.
• The LG G8 comes with Solid, attractive hardware
• This phone boasts an above average display
• IP68 waterproof certification
• Comes with Headphone jack and SD card slot
• Decent battery life
• Excellent call quality
• Software feels old, outdated, and cumbersome.
• The Cameras don’t compete with 2020 cohort
• Air Motion is a solution in search of a problem
• LG’s software update history is highly questionable
There are lots of incredible phones out thee that are backed by the same IP68 waterproof certification just like the ones listed above. So, whether you are getting the Google Pixel 4 XL or you’re considering getting the Samsung Galaxy S20+, you will definitely getting the same waterproof features.
If you’re shopping on a tight budget, then you don’t have to worry there are still some great options out there that you can try out. They might not be IP68 certified but they are just as good. The moto G7 has a water repellent P2i nano-coating that protects it from like splashes. It might not be as good but it’s definitely a good option.